Following the postponement of the February general elections some Nigerians who left parts of the north for fear of being attacked are returning there to continue with their daily living.
One of them, Moses Odeh, an estate surveyor, who left Kano early this month said he was considering going back as the elections have been shifted forward.
He said in the north, the fear of election was the beginning of wisdom as hoodlums often attack non-indigenes that do not share their political beliefs. He recalled that he relocated his family to Lagos State from Kano after the 2011 presidential election, which claimed lives and property in the state.
Last week, Odeh left Kano to join his family in Lagos out of fear that the presidential election initially slated for February 14 might lead to violence.
In a chat with our reporter at the Murtala Mohammed Airport, MM2, this morning, Odeh said he was afraid that what transpired in the previous elections could happen again, despite the peace accord signed by all contestants vying for political positions.
According to him, in 2011, somewhere in Tiga, Kano, thugs wielding harmful objects waylaid many people ordering them to support a particular party and its candidates. Those who refused, he recalled, were beaten up while others were severely wounded. He said since the elections have been postponed, he and some of his friends were planning to return to Kano to continue their business while watching the situation as it unfolds.
He admitted he did not want to be caught up in similar situation, hence his relocation. Now that the elections has been postponed, Odeh plans to return back to work, but when the new date approaches, he will come back to Lagos.