David Mark Bows Out of Presidential Race

….As Wike Faults Buhari on Security

Former Senate President, David Mark, has declared that he would not be contesting the 2023 presidential election.

Mark made the declaration at Etche, Rivers State on Tuesday while inaugurating the 21-kilometre Odufor – Akpoku – Umuoye road construction by the Rivers State Government.

Mark, who described the Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Wike, as the pillar of the Peoples Democratic Party, recalled how he ran for President about three years ago but lost the primaries in Port Harcourt.

He said, “I was very hopeful at that time because I was very close to the governor. But it didn’t work out for me. Now I am too old to run for President. I am just resting in my village now,” the former Senate President said.

Wike had earlier on criticized President Muhammadu Buhari for shifting the blame on who should tackle security issues to the governors.

“The Constitution did not say that. Who is the Commander-in-Chef? Are we the governors the Commander-in-Chief? We are not the Commander-in-Chief. Mr. President. You are the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. You appoint the Chief of Army Staff, you appoint the Chief of Naval Staff. You appoint the Inspector General of Police and others,” the governor said.

He said if the governors are to take charge of security effectively in the states, they should be allowed to pick the commissioners of police and directors of State Security Service. “Why are we shifting the goalpost when the match is almost completed? It is not good,” he said.

Wike declared that the President must take charge of security because it is his constitutional duty. “It is not only to borrow money. “Let us also be in charge too,” added humorously.

Follow Us on Social Media

Related posts

Top
Share
Share
error: Content is protected !!
WhatsApp WhatsApp us