By Godson Mark Torukuru – Executive Chairman, Bayelsa State Board of Internal Revenue
As the nation turned 54 on October 1, 2014, the entire management and staff of the Bayelsa State Board of Internal Revenue felicitates with President Goodluck Jonathan, his entire cabinet and all stakeholders in the Nigerian project.
Mr. President, Sir, you have given us all reasons to look forward to a brighter tomorrow, going by the rate at which you are transforming all facets of the nation’s economy with an unprecedented level of success. Never in the history of this nation has any government achieved the much you have within such a short period of time.
- Power supply is at its highest level ever, and still improving, as more cities, towns and villages are now connected to the national grid. At least, the people now enjoy 18 hours of uninterrupted power supply.
- Under your leadership, various states have been empowered to float independent power projects.
- The nation has been named as the leading economy on the continent due to your impactful transformation programmes which have liberated the economy and also rubbed off positively on the people.
- The agricultural sector has received a great boost, and an attestation to this is the reduction in the nation’s food import bill.
- Cottage industries are developing at a tremendous rate, thereby reducing unemployment.
- Insecurity, which has threatened our unity, has been well checked by your administration. Our security personnel have been better trained to quell all forms of internal insurrection as well as external aggression.
- Women participation in politics and governance has been greatly enhanced.
- In 2013, the government commenced the implementation of the National Industrial Revolution Plan, NIRP, aimed at industrialising Nigeria and diversifying the economy into sectors such as agro-processing, light manufacturing, and petrochemicals.
- Nigeria also successfully negotiated a strong Common External Tariff, CET, agreement with the Economic Community of West African States, ECOWAS, and partners on the need to protect the country’s strategic industries from foreign domination.
- Our sports, aviation, tourism and entertainment sectors are gaining global attention and following. This is due to your administration’s reinvention of the sector and youth empowerment through massive support.
- Infrastructural development in the nation has also been improved upon and, in some cases, reinvented.
- Education at all levels is given its due priority. It is a thing of joy that all states in the country now boast of a federal university. Not even the grassroots can be said to be left out as schools have been established in the nomadic parts of the North as well as the creeks and villages in the other parts of the country.
- … And still counting!
Your Excellency, we at the Bayelsa State Internal Revenue Board are proud of your sterling achievements and also wish your administration a more purposeful tenure, even as we look forward to an uninterrupted delivery of more democratic dividends from your administration.
Follow Us on Social Media