Despite conflicting figures on the number of casualties a pregnant woman, the proprietor of
But the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, has said that eight persons died, while 34 others were rescued in the wreckage of the building, while the General Manager of Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Adeshina Tiamiyu, on Thursday said that there is no casualty left under the debris of the building.
“We stopped work at 3:00 a.m after recovering the lifeless body of a male and we are sure there is no casualty left under the debris,” he said, adding that the agency is not to confirm the total figure of casualties from the building. According to him, the ministry of health would release the accurate figure later in the day.
The News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, reports that about 10 different families occupied the first and the ground floors of the collapsed building while the school occupied the second and fourth floors.
No fewer than 17 of the rescued school children and occupants of the building were taken to Massey Children Hospital, which is just a short distance away from the scene. Several other persons who sustained serious injuries were also rushed to the Lagos Island General Hospital on Broad Street.
“This area and building here will be undergoing an integrity test. As you can see some of the buildings have been marked for demolition,” said Akinwunmi Ambode, Lagos State governor, who visited the scene on Wednesday.
It was gathered that the collapsed building had earlier been marked for demolition by officials of the Lagos State Building Control Agency but no one could explain why the proposed demolition never took place.