The Federal government, on Friday, presented the total sum of N75 million and employment letters to relations of those who lost their lives in the botched immigration recruitment exercise held, March last year.
This came in fulfillment of the promise President Goodluck Jonathan made earlier that members of families of the victims who died in the melee that ensued during the immigration service recruitment would be compensated.
During the event, which took place at the press briefing room of the presidential Villa in Abuja, President Jonathan presented a cheque of N5m to families of each of the deceased while three members each from the 15 families were given employment letters.
In a remark made after handing over the cheques and employment letters, President Jonathan noted that the monies given to the families of the deceased should not be seen as compensation, as it cannot replace the lost lives. He also promised that such an ugly incidence would not repeat itself again.
David Paradang, Comptroller General of the Immigration Service, explained to newsmen that ten out of the 45 candidates presented for the jobs by the families had to be replaced because they did not meet the criteria of the service.
He noted that some of them who are graduates were employed as Assistant Superintendent; those with National Certificate of Education, NCE were employed as Assistant Inspectors while those with the West African School Certificate, WASC were employed as Immigration Officers 3. He added that the families of the ten have been asked to bring other people to occupy their slots.
Paradang said the Service has currently resumed its latest employment exercise in which it intends to recruit a total of 2,000 officers less the already slated 45 slots.
While noting that those who were injured during the recruitment exercise will not be forgotten, Abba Moro, Minister of Interior, said that they will be included in the second phase of recruitment which is ongoing till May.Follow Us on Social Media