Over 100 people have died and many more are missing in Mozambique and neighbouring Zimbabwe following a tropical cyclone attack on Sunday.
Report confirmed by a lawmaker named Chimanimani in Zimbabwe that the toll there had risen to 65 in the east of the country, while Mozambique indicated that 48 people were killed in affected central areas, after the cyclone tore across the region on Friday and Saturday.
Chimanimani who gave the updated toll added that scores remain missing, after houses and bridges were washed away by flash floods when the storm slammed the area.
“So far we are looking at 65 people that have lost their lives. We are looking at probably 150 to 200 people missing.”
“We are very worried because all these houses were just suddenly submerged under water and literally washed away and that is where we have about 147 missing. It’s very sad and the situation is dire, ” he said.
The country’s Department of Civil Protection (DCP) also added that two pupils at a secondary school were among those killed, after a landslide sent a boulder crashing into their dormitory
The majority of those unaccounted for are thought to be government workers, whose housing complex was completely engulfed by raging waters. Their fate is currently unknown because the area is still unreachable.
Two pupils at a secondary school were among those killed, after a landslide sent a boulder crashing into their dormitory, the country’s Department of Civil Protection (DCP) said.
However, the most affected areas are not yet accessible, while high winds and dense clouds have hampered military rescue helicopter flights.