The governor of Edo State, Godwin Obaseki, has described as “most regrettable”, Sundays gory multiple accidents at Agbede, Etsako West local government area of the state, in which seven persons were burnt beyond recognition. Obaseki, who on Tuesday expressed his heart-felt sympathy for victims of the accident, said the cause of the crash had been thoroughly investigated and would form a major discussion at this week’s State Security Council meeting to prevent a re-occurrence. The accident involved 14 vehicles, comprising 13 trucks and a Toyota Sienna vehicle.
In a statement, Governor Obaseki noted that “The unfortunate fatal accident involving 14 vehicles, which claimed the lives of seven persons with many others injured in Agbede, Etsako West Local Government Area, is most regrettable and is receiving the full attention of the state’s Security Council.
“While we commiserate with the families of victims and other persons who suffered losses in the ghastly accident, we want to assure Edo people that the matter has been thoroughly investigated and is going to be a major subject for deliberation at the State Security Council meeting this week in order to unravel the causes so as to ensure that such an incident can be averted in the future.
The statement said the debris had since been cleared from the expressway, and the road opened to road commuters. Obaseki enjoined all Edo people and other persons in transit, to continue with their lawful businesses as order had been restored to the area.