North Korean websites have been restored on Tuesday after hours of shutdown that led to speculations that the country’s Internet connections could be under a cyber attack.
Though there has been no comment from the authorities in Pyongyang, South Korean officials and US experts reported the restoration.
South Korean officials told the Associated Press that Internet access to the North’s official Korean Central News Agency and the Rodong Sinmun newspaper were working normally Tuesday after being inaccessible earlier.
Those sites are the main channels for official North Korea news, with servers located abroad.
Meanwhile, China has denounced reports suggesting it was responsible for the North Korean online shutdown. HuaChunying, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman said that such reports were “speculative and had no basis in reality.”
“These reports themselves are extremely irresponsible, unprofessional and misleading,” she added.
The outage came less than a week after the U.S. vowed an unspecified response to a massive hacking attack against Sony Pictures Entertainment over the release of the comedy film “The Interview.”
The plot of the comedy centers on the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, leading to widespread speculation that the country was responsible for the attack.
Late last week, the FBI publicly blamed North Korea in the incident, though Pyongyang has denied involvement.Follow Us on Social Media
TELL Magazine Newsletter
Subscribe to our newsletter
Thank you for subscribing.
Something went wrong.